neljapäev, juuni 11, 2009

Crossing the Line by Major Stephen Yoder

“When I was commissioned as a Salvation Army officer, I indicated in signing my officer covenant that I would be available to serve wherever the Lord and the Army wanted me to be. I didn’t qualify that commitment with any notes of guidance, or exceptions or ‘small print’ to indicate personal preferences, or any special conditions or prerequisites relating to my service. And I meant it, for life.
“I don’t want to alter that commitment. But sometimes I’m scared about crossing the line between offering myself willingly and offering myself with strings attached. I don’t want to have provisions in my life; I don’t want to limit the Lord’s ability to use me anywhere at any time. I don’t want to limit the opportunities that simply come with Salvation Army officership. I haven’t yet and I sure don’t want to….
“I worry about having self-serving expectations of the Army….
“Wherever? Yes, because my commitment is first and foremost to the Lord, who alone is infallible....”

Universalis