teisipäev, detsember 04, 2007

listen to an Estonian woman who teaches at Houghton College (in English!)

http://www.houghton.edu/spirit/chapel%20recordings.htm

Click on November 14—Küli Töniste (should be spelled Külli Tõniste!!!)

Here is a picture of her: http://www.houghton.edu/Milieu/spring07/PeopleNPrograms/faculty.html

"I lived 10 years without Christmases; can you imagine that? ... I never knew there was Christmas."

How beautiful to hear her talk about John Wesley's teachings on prevenient grace, saving grace, and assurance.

"How do I know that I'm truly saved?"

Romans 8:15-16
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

"One more person is lost for this world.... Christians are no good for this life." This is what her mother said when she joined the church. This is such a common opinion here!

"I have an enemy.... I could sense a lot of spiritual warfare.... A young Christian who is secure in the love of God, and eager to share it, is dangerous to the enemy."

What she says about her parents is so common.

"I'm still learning that there's a daily cross, and price, to following Christ, and to be His witness. I must confess that I feel that much more often when I go home to Estonia than I do here in U.S."

Prof. Tõniste spoke at chapel on 14 Nov., just a couple of days after we had visited. At the time, I was really disappointed that we hadn't been there to hear her in person. Now, I am grateful, because I think I might have cried and that would have embarrassed Chris!

We are so grateful that this Estonian is teaching at Houghton. It's a small world, after all!

Evelyn

Universalis