reede, jaanuar 18, 2008

Recruits

I've been feeling quite down and discouraged lately, but I'm not going to blog about that. Just a quick request that you would be praying for me! I think that the enemy is not pleased about my promise to speak only in Estonian at the corps. Anyway, it's been way more tiring for me (mentally and emotionally) than I had anticipated.

But I want to tell you about one of our recruits! Her name is Kersti, and her son is married to Sirje's daughter. (I have no idea what, if any, relation that makes the two of them, but basically it's a sister-in-love sort of thing which is really wonderful.)

On Thursday evenings we have three corps programs, and it's my "heavy" (busy) night of the week: Songsters, Bible Study, and NELK (women's ministries). It means I speak (and listen!) in Estonian for three and a half hours straight, which is way more exhausting than it sounds!

Anyway, Kersti came running in very excited about becoming a soldier. I'm actually not sure of the exact verb she used, but it was something about being a soldier anyway! She's Estonian; Estonians don't normally run around yelling about anything. But she was SO excited to show us that since Sunday's first recruits class, she has been memorizing the doctrines! She wrote them out on little pieces of paper that fit inside her eyeglasses case. She works at a big department store, so I guess whenever she gets a spare moment, she pulls out one of the papers!

There are all kinds of stressful meetings taking place today; we never have enough money and we're always having to cut our budgets (which, we're really afraid, today will mean cutting what we consider to be a very good and important program!). All of the meetings will probably be over by the time you wake up and read this, if you are in America, but your prayers would be appreciated just the same!

Thanks,
Evelyn

Universalis