reede, mai 11, 2007

Poetry Night!

Tonight we are having Poetry Night at the corps, and everyone is busy finalizing their selections.

I will read "Mu Isamaa On Minu Arm" by Lydia Koidula in Estonian!

Chris loves Robert Frost.

Of course I love Longfellow, but his poems are all so long! Some lines of his that brought tears to my eye today:
Often I think of the beautiful town
That is seated by the sea;
Often in thought go up and down
The pleasant streets of that dear old town,
And my youth comes back to me ...
I can see the shadowy lines of its trees,
And catch, in sudden gleams,
The sheen of the far-surrounding seas ...
I remember the black wharves and the ships,
And the sea-tides tossing free ...
I can see the breezy dome of groves,
The shadows of Deering's Woods;
And the friendships old and the early loves
Come back with a Sabbath sound, as of doves
In quiet neighborhoods ...
There are things of which I may not speak;
There are dreams that cannot die;
There are thoughts that make the strong heart weak,
And bring a pallor into the cheek,
And a mist before the eye ...
Strange to me now are the forms I meet
When I visit the dear old town;
But the native air is pure and sweet,
And the trees that o'ershadow each well-known street,
As they balance up and down,
Are singing the beautiful song,
Are sighing and whispering still ...
And Deering's Woods are fresh and fair,
And with joy that is almost pain
My heart goes back to wander there,
And among the dreams of the days that were,
I find my lost youth again....

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Hi Capt.

thanks for the poem. When I read it then it made me thing about TLN. A good poem :D.

Erica

reede, mai 11, 2007 9:19:00 PM  

Postita kommentaar

<< Home

Universalis