neljapäev, detsember 21, 2006

I'll have a Blue Christmas without you (Aunt Joann, Uncle Reggie, and Mama!)

12/21/2006 – 7 pm
Blue Christmas Service
Thornton Heights UMC, South Portland, ME
Casco Bay Cluster Clergy will be participating. All are welcome.

The following is excerpted from http://www.ottawa.anglican.ca/blue.shtml
Christmas time can be a very lonely, depressing, "blue" time for those grieving the loss of loved ones or other losses or for those who are all alone when others are partying and gathering with family members. A number of pastors concerned for those who find it difficult to "celebrate" at this time of year have developed various "Blue Christmas Services" to minister to these people.

Blue Christmas liturgy for individuals
Four candles are lit - any colour but if you want more symbolism --- royal blue is the colour of hope; white is the colour of wholeness; red is the colour of passion and Spirit; green is the colour of new life. All the same? Mixture? Other colours? Up to you. As each candle is lit (individually), hopefully in a darkened or semi-darkened room to get the effect of the light emanating from the candle - perhaps have some quiet music in the bg or silence but not the tv or loud music or at a time when children/family/friends could make demands on you.
*********************************
BLUE CHRISTMAS
Light first candle.
I light this candle to remember those persons who have been loved and lost. I pause to remember their name, their face, their voice. (give yourself time to do this)
I give thanks for the memory that binds them to me in this difficult season. (give yourself time to do this)
May Eternal Love surround them.
[Silent time for reflection]

Light second candle.
I light this second candle to redeem the pain of loss: the loss of relationships, the loss of jobs, the loss of health. (Give yourself time to think of each relationship/most current - whatever you are experiencing as 'loss' at this time of the year)
As I gather up the pain of the past, I offer it, asking that into my open hands the gift of peace, of shalom, of wholeness be placed. (give yourself time to do this)
May I be refreshed, restored and renewed
[Silent time for reflection]
Light third candle.I light this third candle to remember myself. I pause and remember the past weeks, months (years): the down times, the poignancy of memories, the grief, the sadness, the hurts, the pain of reflecting on my own mortality. (give yourself time to do this)
May I remember that dawn defeats darkness … remember the words written on a wall at Dachau prison --- “I believe in the sun even when it’s not shining; I believe in the stars even when I see them not; I believe in God even when I don’t see God.”
[Silent time of reflection]
Light fourth candle.I light this fourth candle to remember the gift of hope. I lean on the Holy One who shares my life, promises a place and time of no more pain and suffering and who loves unconditionally (give yourself time to do this - or substitute any phrasing that will be meaningful for you.) May I not forget the One who shows the way and Who goes with me into my tomorrows.
[Silent time of reflection]

Amen. So be it. Amen. (all "Amen" means is "So be it.")
Now, head off and do something for yourself - a long leisurely hot bath, a hot cup of tea/hot chocolate, half an hour in the darkness looking at the lit candles and listening to some gentle music --- and know that there are people who care.

Universalis